In this space I am going to detail a sample skincare routine for those suffering from severe and/or cystic acne. All of these products can be purchased with no prescription needed. Everyone’s needs will be different, and this list is by no means a guarantee to clear your skin. I am going to be explaining why and how each product worked for me while I had cystic acne. The routines are very short — less can be better as long as the products are efficient!
- Mario Badescu Rose Spray – $5, for the smallest sized bottle. This is a phenomenal moisturizing mist — it’s lightweight, and won’t block your pores. It’s good for use at any time in your routine pre- or post- makeup, but I personally liked it as a first step to help wake me up.
- Cerave PM – $12. This is an amazing, hardworking moisturizer that’s great for skincare beginners. It is non-comdeogenic and lightweight, so it will not clog your pores. You’ll barely notice it’s on.
- Dr Lin Hydrating Gel – $20. This step isn’t 100% necessary, but it provides a cooling layer of moisture, which is great when your skin is extremely sensitive. You may need to let this dry down for an extra minute or two before applying foundation.
- Rohto Skin Aqua Super Moisture Milk SPF 50 – $10. Most websites out there will recommend a physical sunscreen for severe acne sufferers, since chemical sunscreens can have higher incidences of causing breakouts. This chemical sunscreen, however, is one of the lightest on the market, dries down smoothly and quickly, and does not contain alcohol.
- Rimmel 25-Hour Breathable Foundation – $10. An extremely lightweight foundation that will not break you out. It’s only drawback is that it’s not full coverage.
- Cetaphil – $12. This is one of the least abrasive cleansers out there right now, with very basic ingredient listings designed for those with sensitive skin.
- Cerave PM – $12. Yup, I applied it at night, too. 🙂
- Elta MD Intense Moisturizer – $10. This is a phenomenal “final layer” occlusive for those with sensitive skin with just two ingredients that will retain moisture: paraffin and petroleum.